Medical & Nursing Vounteer Positions - International Volunteer Position (Timor Leste) - Position No. 007/14
Medical & Nursing Vounteer Positions – International PositionPosition No. 007/14
Date: 30 October 2007
Title: Medical and Nursing Volunteer Positions
Report to: Health Coordinator Timor-Leste
Location: Dili and rural district locations Timor-Leste.
Regular travel to remote field locations
- A living allowance is provided which covers both food and other basic necessity expenditures.
- Accommodation: Shared living arrangements in group housing.
Length of Contract:
Minimum of one month placement with option to extend
• While performing duties, the staff member may work in precarious places. The staff member will regularly work in outdoor environments. There may be no telephones, air conditioning, or electricity whilst in the field. • Interested applicants are requested to download a volunteer application forms on www.aai.org.au
Due to the volume of applications received only those selected for interviews will have a reply to their applications. AAI will make every endeavor to match your placement as closely as possible to your preferred dates for volunteering. However, volunteers will be matched to positions according to operational requirements. Preference will be made for new volunteers whom have successfully completed AAI training courses.
Further Information can be found on the AAI website above.
In March this year Australian Aid International commenced an initial 12 month project in rural healthcare to underserved populations in Timor-Leste. Through collaboration with the Ministry of Health (MoH) AAI are targeting those underserved areas and populations who have sub-standard levels of health care. AAI's project is focused on support and supervision at the District Health Service (DHS) level and providing much needed quality assurance to Government health programs. This is being achieved through re-establishing and supporting DHS outreach services including mobile medical clinics, health promotion activities and capacity building of local health staff. AAI have also been active in the national skin disease campaign and assisting the MoH with evaluations of health services.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE VOLUNTEER
- Provide direct primary health care in diagnostic and treatment as required.
- Monitor and supervise healthcare delivery by local health workers.
- Ensure accurate records management for reporting and case management
- Assist with medical supply management (inventories, warehousing, and reconciliation).
- Assists in assessment and developing of immediate and long-term health programs in Timor-Leste that AAI can support, mainly in terms of community and primary health care support, training, etc.
- Assist with epidemiological and outbreak surveillance.
- Able to work effectively in unstable security environments, and under intense administrative and programmatic pressures.
- Must demonstrate flexibility to adapt to changing requirements.
- Must be willing to travel often and endure basic living conditions at field sites for extended periods of time.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Medical or Nursing degree required with advanced education in a related field preferred.
- Knowledge in any one of the following areas an advantage; tropical Medicine, obstetrics, maternal and child healthcare.
- Experience in international programs delivering primary health care, maternal and child health, reproductive health, HIV/AIDS, and communicable diseases preferred.
- Well developed skills in report writing, training development and the preparation of other technical documents.
- Ability to effectively present technical information and respond to questions from counterparts, and the Ministry of Health.
- Previous experience in post-conflict environments preferred.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and profound cross-cultural awareness; ability to relate to and motivate local staff effectively.
- Good team player.
- Sound judgment and independent decision-making skills.
- Creativity and the ability to work with limited resources.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Flexibility and willingness to adjust to changing responsibilities or needs as they arise.
- Computer skills (Excel, Word).
- Be able to communicate proficiently in English, both spoken and written.